View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mykey View Post
Thanks Stuart. Your points are very succinct and I love hearing about how impressed you and others are with your Franklin. This is my lifetime guitar and even though there's always a bit of trepidation or second guessing with a custom build, It's reassuring to hear so much positive feedback from others.

I talked to Nick last night about scale and how it affects his tonality. He didn't try to dissuade me from it, but I gathered that he feels it's less than ideal for the OM. Generally, he says you lose some of the power or drive in the bass. And that, to my ears is one of the defining qualities of the OM. It tends to have a full but clean bass. So shortening the scale would affect the overall balance to some degree.

Kudos to Nick, he said he knew he put that shorter scale idea in my head when he saw me grimacing on a couple chords and suggested it. And I told him that the one of his I did play with 12's plays easier than my Collings with 11's. He said , "Well...I usually spend about 13 hours just on the action. Sold...standard 25.4 scale it is!
I don't know how Nick does it, but the playability of his guitars is truly amazing: my long scale Franklin was actually easier than my short scale Collings, and I had slightly lighter strings on the Collings.