View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 PM

Default My new blackbird "lucky13"

FIRST MY APOLOGIES, for no pictures yet but posting photos on AGF has proved itself beyond my ability.
On to my new guitar, and my very first Carbon guitar.
I should also mention I purchased from LA Guitar and Ted was a pleasure to do business with.
This was not a inexpensive purchase for me but I had a specific reason for venturing into Carbon after 40 yrs of wood guitars. Mainly the ability to travel in my RV and play outside without constant worry about the weather and humidity etc. So any brand would have covered this aspect as you all know.
My other concern was playability, my main guitar is a OO Santa Cruz Skye and it takes a back row to none, my all time favorite. One main reason other than tone is the wide neck with 1 13/16" nut and the V neck which I love. The 1 3/4" nut has always been a little shy in width for me causing a dead 1st string when playing C on the second because of my wide fingertips. So this is one thing I was concerned about as all the CF guitars I saw where the 3/4" nut.
To my surprise the neck on the Blackbird is one of the nicest playing necks both in width, and profile I have played. In a matter of a few hours it felt like an old friend. It's rather IMO unusual in that it is wider than most, I noticed this when I used my Capo from my Martin which was a 1 3/4" nut and it won't slide past the fourth fret on the Blackbird! Also I actually got out my calipers to measure the nut because I was not having any problem muting the first string. It is indeed a 1 3/4" nut but for some reason feels wider to me almost like my SC when playing.
I think it may be the fret board radius with the neck profile changing my fretting a bit I am not sure, but I sure like it.
The neck is a C shape but very comfortable and I find a effortless transition from my SC. The same as for the body size and shape, almost the same size lower bout and with the neck up I use the same playing position. I play off my right leg but with a 45 degree angle across my body with the headstock at eye level, it allows me to keep my wrist straight.
Scale is 24 3/4" my SC is 24.9 so again no adjustment needed when switching. Having a guitar similar to my main was important to me as i didn't want adjustment periods when changing instruments. The string spacing at the bridge is 2 3/16" so a little difference because my SC is 2 1/4" but have noticed no issue with this. All in all a great experience in the playability department.
The next pleasant surprise was the tone of the guitar, one unique onto itself, not a true wood tone but very earthy with a large measure of bass overtones to be sure. I guess I was expecting a more brittle or brassy sound without wood in the soundboard. It is a very pleasant and balanced sound and I find it very flattering with my vocals. While playing and demoing for my wife today she said, "that sounds as good as any of your other wood guitars" to my surprise.
I also notice it has a very good sustain to the notes.
The only modification I have done to the guitar is bringing the action down by a couple thousand of an inch to be more comparable to my other guitar as far as action as I play fiddle tunes and reels and I need a fairly low action. Was easy to do. I also changed the stock strings and put on 12/53 Coated strings.
One thing about this guitar that is really nice IMO is the lack of a heel and the 13th fret being clear of the body. Sure is nice playing up the neck and not hitting the heel. Very nice indeed.
The guitar has the Misi system in it and after plugging into the wall socket for 60 sec. ready to go, I really like the no battery thing and thru my Marshall Acoustic it sings sweet.
In closing. I am more than satisfied with the guitar, very impressed with the quality and playability and the great tone is icing on the cake!
Buying it was a leap of faith sight unseen, but it worked out for me. I had spent many hours on the computer reading reviews and listening but until you actually have it in your hands it's a gamble. Not a total risk as Ted gives 72 hrs to try, but no need I loved it the first couple of hours out.
Thanks all,,,,Jerry