View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfielder View Post
Which minor key? Are you talking about the relative minor of key X, or are you talking about X minor?

For example, let's say we're in the key of G and the I-IV-V is G-C-D.

Are you saying you switch back and forth between the relative minor pentatonic (Em) and G major pentatonic? (if so, what's the difference in sound, since they're the same scale?)

Or are you saying you switch back and forth between G minor pentatonic and G major pentatonic?

(If anyone else has insight into this question, please chime in. I'm at an intermediate stage where learning the answers to a few questions like these can help me make major strides in my playing.)
I didn’t write that, but on songs / progressions that are friendly to both, I’ll play both the major and minor pentatonic of the SAME KEY, not the major and relative minor. A great progression to do this with is Nobody Knows You (When You’re Down and Out). Clapton is all over both the major and minor C pentatonic and it’s really easy to move between them - almost every note from both fits most of the time. A thing I used to practice was treating it as a discussion or argument between a man and a woman, the major scale usually being the woman’s voice and the minor being the guy’s. Have one of them say something, and then the other respond, moving back and forth, call and response. But there are places where a couple notes from the major pentatonic will fit in with a solo that’s mostly being done in the minor pentatonic. Over time you start to get it by feel. Clapton and BB King are / were both almost exclusively pentatonic players, both being phenomenal at mixing and matching them...

-Ray