View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Or, you could just capo the X20 at the first fret, which effectively represents a 24” scale - get used to that, and then lose the capo
That is exactly what I did to "audition" a shorter scale before placing my custom order. I can play the 25.5" scale of my current X20 just fine, but generally prefer shorter scale lengths these days. After two weeks with a capo at the first fret exclusively, I was convinced and placed my custom order for 24.6" scale length. (That matches my custom X20-12). I had also asked for only 20 frets because the 24 fret version would sometimes have the fret board getting in my way. But the new end contour takes care of that nicely. I may end up keeping both using the 25.5" for my altered tuning repertoire.

So why am I spending all that money when a capo actually worked OK? The side dots are important as I play up the neck, so it was better to have the right scale length built in. When the custom X20 gets here I will post an A/B comparison of original versus new & improved.