View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I was just beginning to play finger style when I had an X20. For me, the primary factors were the string spacing and scale length. The string spacing at the bridge is 2 1/4", which I find good for finger picking - I prefer a little wider but 2 1/4 is fine. The scale length isn't a deal breaker for me at all, although I've come to prefer the shorter 24.9" scale for finger style. But one of the primary guitars I learned to finger pick on was a Martin 000-15SM, which has the same string spacing and scale length as the X20 and I never had any problem with that instrument so I trust I wouldn't have with the X20 either. My only acoustic now is a CEO-7, which has a bit wider string spacing and the shorter scale and I prefer it, but not by a lot.

I'd say if you're ok with a full scale guitar, the X20 would be great for finger style. Coming from a GS Mini though, the scale length may take some getting used to, being essentially 2" longer. Even a 24.9" scale would probably feel foreign. If you like the feel of a GS mini, you might want to think about an X7 instead of an X20. It's got a similar feeling neck but has a 24" scale, which is only about a half inch longer than what you're used to...

-Ray