View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Where I understand where you're coming from here Ty and understanding from one privately owned studio to another I'd tend to agree. However the exact opposite is true here in town. There simply must must be identical methods among audio staff. We are always, always under frightening deadlines and it's not uncommon to be 4 hours into a mix to get the scene scrubbed and we start over with the original deadline intact. Most medium to large production staffs are running (at least during busy seasons) 24/7. I simply must be able to come in after a night shift and find a session exactly as I'd expect. If an executive producer or worse a PC freaks over a mix and a Lone Ranger, night shift audio guy went rogue the night before and mixed willy nilly (his way) and I can't figure out what he's done and we can't push the fixes through quickly and quietly, someone will end up losing their job.

We long ago agreed on all preferences in Pro Tools. Because we work on franchised products that are branded from inception we agree on which plug-in will use per production. We use the exact same templates.*We automate the same way. Every last detail of production in Pro Tools is agreed upon before hand and we don't budge. It's also fairly common that other facilities have very similar templates and work flows as passing session back in forth, not only from bay to bay but facility to. facility is common. Even worse is passing OMFI/AFF files between two facilities and from Pro Tools to an Avid.
Joe,

You do know that not all of Hollywood eats its young, right? I hope you escape from that sweat shop before you acquire health problems. Know this; There is a life with a good income without running around with your hair on fire. Leave that to the mouth breathing adrenaline junkies.

Surely, in facilities with multiple rooms, you need to have standards including having exactly the same setup in every room and fibre channel in the core. And working with other facilities requires a good workflow.

If you're saying everyone in you shop has to use it in exactly-the-same-way, that's still a fallacy because the operator remains the variable and the content itself as captured in production is also variable. So cookie cutter formulae can be counter productive.

Trust me, there is life outside of Hollywood. And, if Hollywood actually were the coolest place in the entire world to work, it would only be the coolest if you weren't jerked around as much as you say you are.

Don't forget to exhale!

Regards,

Ty Ford