View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
...Two weeks ago I was restringing the guitar and noticed the ivoroid binding had separated over a 3 inch length under the lower bout of the guitar...
Plastic binding sometimes shrinks and pulls away at the waist. If it doesn't shrink much and just breaks the glue joint, it can be heated and worked back into place. Sometimes the best answer is to take it loose all the way to neck joint to relieve the tension and glue it back into place. The latter is much more labor intensive of course. Either way, on a new(ish) guitar with no wear or patina on the lacquer, a repair should be near invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrake View Post
...I was also told, by the tech, that Martin has an "allowance" for repairs, and if the repair exceeds that amount, I might be out of pocket for the difference. Really??...
Martin (and every other manufacturer) has set prices on what particular repairs cost. Those prices may be below what the shop would charge for non-warranty work. However, Martin does not allow repairmen to "charge the difference" to customers. They can loose their relationship with Martin over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
...It was a warranty repair, but I had to pay shipping both ways at a cost of $165 each way, with insurance...
That is the downside of small value warranty work. If you don't have a local repairman then shipping can make the warranty work impractical. Without seeing your guitar it's hard to know how bad it was, but the simplest reglue of binding should be something like a $50 job. In a case like that it's better to pay out of pocket, but if you don't have a GOOD local repairmen your options are limited.