View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
I have the same issue as you with Martin's MLO/PA taper necks and their string spacing at the saddle. 2 5/32 is just too narrow, given that 2 1/4" is perfect for me.

I came up with two solutions:

1) I bought a Custom Huss & Dalton TOM-M (short scale). Their neck shape is ideal for me and the string spacing is 2 7/32 (just the barest smidge off 2 1/4")

2) I also bought one of Ted's Martin Custom Shop 00-21 (Ted from LA Guitar Sales). It has the MLO neck profile but without the PA taper. That means the neck width at the 14th fret is 2 1/4" and the string spacing at the saddle is also 2 1/4". Perfect.

I once asked Ted if he'd order a 000-21 with exactly the same neck and saddle spacing if I wanted one, and he said he would. But with the H&D I'm actually all set for guitars.

Good luck!
Thanks for the ideas. It's nice to hear how others have navigated this situation.

I haven't looked into Huss & Dalton but I'll check those out.

As for the custom 000-21 concept... forgive my ignorance but is the 000-21 just a OM-21 with the short scale neck? How do you like the MLO neck profile with the standard taper? Does it feel significantly wider or chunkier to your left hand?