View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 06:57 PM

Default Martin 000 String Spacing Question

Hey first post on the forum! I'm on the hunt and I could use some help. For the past couple months I've been searching for my "life guitar" and I'm pretty sure I want to get some kind of Martin 000. I've tried out a few different models at my local guitar store and I really like the comfort of the orchestra body size combined with the short scale. I play a lot of finger-style with some flat-picking/strumming so I want something that will do both well.

My favorite guitar so far has been the Martin 000-18. Love the sound / feel / look and I'm close to making a purchase...

The only thing holding me back is wondering if there are any Martin 000 guitars (past or present) with 2 1/4 inch string spacing at the bridge?

The new 000-18 had 2 5/32 spacing which felt good but on the narrow side. I also played a CEO-7 with 2 5/16 spacing which felt great for fingerpicking but a little wide with a pick.

The standard 2 5/32 spacing isn't a deal breaker for me but I'd love to find that Goldilocks, not too narrow and not too wide 2 1/4 string spacing. Anyone else find themselves in this position or have to make this decision in the past? Any insight or suggestions welcome! Thanks