View Single Post
Old 07-31-2015, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

After reading this old thread, I decided to give it a go. I've been playing my cigar box guitar lately, and in the spirit of cigar box guitars, decided I needed to scrounge a stomp box from stuff I already had. I came up with some nice clear heart 2x2 redwood and remembered a long non used Baroilini steel guitar pickup.

Used the license plate method laid out by the 1969 guy.

Cut the 2x2s a bit larger than the license plate, caved and spent $15 for an Ohio plate at the local antiques mall, nailed it together, no fancy screws or glue here. and nailed a pine board bottom. Put the pickup on a 1/2 " riser, wired it to a jack, no volume or tone yet, plugged it in and proceeded to stomp my way through every blues tune I know....twice.

I originally had it on a bamboo desk mat, but it was picking up the mat vibrations so I folded a towel to put under it. Now it makes a nice dead thud through my Carvin AG 300. Another reason I'm glad I got the AG 300. The 12" speaker really rocks the stomp.

If you do any kind of rootsy music, you need one of these. Put a tambourine on the other foot, hang a harmonica around your neck, grab the funkiest guitar you have and get down.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa