View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Back in 2013, I made the following comparison between two Collings guitars , one with EIR and the other with Mahogany.

There are some other comparisons of similr guitars with slight wood dffernces on my channel.
It is very hard to hear any difference between those two excellent guitars. The bass did not sound boomy or muddy at all on the DS2H and I focused on trying to hear any kind of loss of mid’s compared to the DS1 and again if it’s there, it’s extremely subtle.

Thanks to all for the responses so far. The question is hypothetical in that it’s hypothetical to build two identical guitars that other than the top woods, all else is exactly the same. It makes a lot of sense that if building a smaller body guitar, the bass response of the rosewood guitar would be a plus. I’m a big fan of adirondack tops as I really like the harmonic high overtones for solo fingerstyle playing and I wondered if mahogany or rosewood would interact differently with that top versus a sitka top. Perhaps not.

To turn the conversation a bit, how do you think a ziricote B/S would sound in the same comparison? I’ve been listening to a lot of videos of ziricote B/S guitars and like what I hear.

I’m doing research for a commissioning of a custom guitar, thus the questions and again very appreciated.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)