View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Is that so? I thought a great deal of modern WiFi uses 5.8 bands.

I'm trying out the new Line6 G10S system, and that one says not to use it near WiFi, which means you use it where exactly in the modern world? There are around a dozen WiFi signals that show up at my house for example. The G10S seems to "overpower" them when I use its auto channel function and keep the receiver quite near to me, but across the room (not an auditorium, a small room) there are annoying drop outs.

I have used the Behringer XR series mixers quite a bit for live sound. Much of this was in hotel ballrooms. What I found was that the 2.5GHz range was packed full of activity and all but useless during events, but the 5GHz was almost completely free. Yes, there was WiFi there, but it was consistently very little traffic. The same thing with high school auditoriums.

The absolute worst case was when one or more people decided to live stream a show over the local WiFi. I would be kicked of the the system completely. It was utterly terrifying!

All those problems went away completely when I bought a little Apple Airport Express and started using the 5GHz band.

You probably aren’t going to have a problem at all in in a rural area, or a regular bar, community center etc.. What will bring a 2.4GHz system to it’s knees is a downtown club, anything near an apartment building, a school facility etc.. any situation where there is a lot of WiFi activity.

For now at least, the 5GHz band is a lot less used.

By the way, this is a 5.8GHz system. Maybe someone knows better than me, but I don’t believe it conflicts with the 5GHz range.