View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingcolors View Post
looking for light sh strings. much more of an acoustic player if that helps, but have a jazz hollowbody similar to a gibson 335. would appreciate string suggestions! thx
If I understand you right you have a thin semi-hollow body and your guitar is a Gibson 335 electric guitar type, and you've tried flat wound strings and didn't care for them. I'm not much of flat wound electric guitar string user myself (use flats on about half my electric bass guitar though). Do you know what set of flat wound strings you tried/don't like? Maybe someone here who plays flats may have another set of flat to suggest.

If you're looking for less string noise but don't dig the flat wound sound, try Elixir nano-web electric strings. A little less string squeak. I wouldn't put acoustic guitar pb strings on an 335 type guitar myself, including Elixirs. I read some here using Monel (like Martin Retros) on full hollow bodies that have magnetic pickups with success though.

I like TI round-wound jazz strings on one of hollow body electrics. Lower tension than then you'd expect per their gauges, nice mellower tone. Pricey, but unique. Of course there are lots of nice electric guitar strings out there to try. For mellower tone you could try one of the pure nickel sets (not just nickel plated). DR Pure Blues come to mind.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 05-03-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typos