View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Chris is from the UK, where Eko guitars were always far more available than they were here in North America. So far as I'm aware, there was never any commercial distribution for Eko instruments in the United States and Canada - if there was, it was very short-lived.

From what I've been able to piece together, Eko was essentially the Italian equivalent of Framus in West Germany, in that both firms made a wide array of instruments at a number of different price points. The vast majority of Eko guitars that I've encountered must have been entry level instruments, because they were pretty close to being junk.

My friend Karl who plays bass with me was a Navy brat and spent part of his high school years in Naples, Italy, where he joined his first rock band playing an Eko bass guitar that he nicknamed "the Thud bass." It had no discernible tone, and just went "thud, thud, thud."

So Karl does not wax nostalgic about Eko guitars. But he was a teenager at the time, and I'm sure he got the cheapest bass guitar he could find. There are probably better Eko basses out there.

Still, all of the Eko guitars I've encountered have been instruments I wouldn't want to own. It may be that none of the best quality Ekos ever made it over here to North America, but none that I have seen and played have made my heart race faster or filled me with longing.

Naturally, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Hey Wade and all of you...

I had a OM size EKO back in the 60's. Yes, EKOs were made in Italy back then. I think they were more known for the electrics. That is just my recollection.

Anyway, I think they were an attempt to cash in on the lower end of the market that was SO dominated by the Japanese.

There was a distributor in my area for these. I don't know how wide their distribution was. I think they were the only distributor for the guitars. The company was an importer for accordions from Italy as well. It was LoDuca Bros, in Milwaukee. They opened in 1941.

You could buy directly from them back then, at least locally. They had a large building which served as a warehouse/headquarters back then.

The guitar I had was a red finished simple git. Not a painted, but a stained finish. I don't know if it was nitro or something of a varnish. I paid $35.00 for it. It wasn't bad sounding. I don't know how it was constructed but I would bet it was laminated.

LoDuca Brothers carried EKOs for a number of years. Sort of a poor mans Strat on the electric side.
I had my acoustic for probably 7 or 8 years. I sold it off for maybe $15.00.

LoDuca stayed in business for sometime. I believe they are out of the music instrument and lesson business now. Decendents are in the wine business.

I noticed the reemergence of the brand 6 or 7 years ago. I am guessing they are no longer made in Italy I could be wrong.