View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothHands View Post
Bear with me now, I'm a noob. I'm just trying to understand, and am not the least bit interested in contributing to any "fracas among the truly knowledgeable":
In my case, the nut is set in a gap created by the edge of the fretboard and the headstock faceplate/veneer, which is about 1/8" thick.
See the image on page 2 of this thread, post #19.

The nut appears be a tight/exact fit for the gap in which it sits.

I assume the nut is glued in lightly, with a single dab of CA or maybe wood glue at its midpoint.

I want to avoid damaging anything - the nut or the veneer faceplate.

Q1. In your opinion (ANYBODY), do I need to employ Frank Ford's technique of cutting a very narrow saw kerf behind the nut before tapping it?
If so, exactly WHY? To protect the nut? To protect the faceplate as suggested above? OR...to allow for movement in breaking the glue joint?

Q2. If I do make the kerf, should I endeavor to make a replacement nut that fully fills that now-wider kerf?

Q3. Assuming I do what's described in Q2 above, what happens next time I want to remove that wider replacement nut? Will I have to cut another kerf behind that new nut in order to remove it? Assume I glue the replacement nut in per redir's instructions above.

I don't mean to be a PIA about this. I'm just trying to understand exactly what people mean
so I can get the best possible result while doing the least possible damage.

"The nut appears be a tight/exact fit for the gap in which it sits"

nope. i see plenty of room to work with here.

but first, have you fully determined that this nut is not coming out after using all of the usual methods? is it really that stuck? What methods have you tried so far?

Q1 No. IMO it would be used as a last resort to protect an ancient nut and to allow room to break the joint. Apparently a controversial method. I do not think that this is the case on your modern guitar nor necessary for it.

Q2 Yep, that's the idea.

Q3 hopefully not. that would be silly. honestly, i don't glue down nuts that are set into a slot like yours. if it is crafted correctly it won't roll out, and if the fit is snug enough, it won't fall out when fully unstrung nor shift sideways either.

fwiw, if this is truly the mission impossible nut that no normal methods of removal will ever work, -then saw it down the middle (80~90% deep, but not through it), clear all contact faces (veneer, fretboard, neck) with a scalpel, grab it and pluck it out and make a new one. it's not that hard.

Last edited by arie; 11-17-2014 at 10:40 AM.