View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
Drilling a hole properly, in any material, with any type of bit, is a matter of maintaining the proper speed/feed rates. A tapered bit will work fine, but I'd recommend practice on a piece of wood of similar density and thickness. It's a skill that comes with experience. Masking tape over the hole will help prevent tearout.
Not in this case, believe me.

Any drill bit is pulling the material up as it tries to draw itself into the wood. No amount of masking tape, no amount of practice, no-nothing will work, especially seeing as the wood at this location of the guitar is very thin.

In a perfect world a board laid over the object to be drilled will work very well, provided it is flat against the object surface. However, in this case it is very difficult to do safely. The board laid over the piece is referred to as a caul.

A tapered reamer is the best tool, but I have done it with a rotary file, like this one: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(rr...aspx?SKU=21081

You will still need a pilot hole if there is none to begin with, but there is much less danger drilling a 1/4" hole, where none exists, especially if you use a brad point, or Forstner type bit that cut the rim as well as the center.

Regards,
Howard