Thread: k&k must go
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPTS View Post
Seems to me a luthier who cannot properly clean and prep a bridge plate should go back to school. Some fine steel wool and/or minimal sanding should easily take care of any superglue residue. After cleaning it should be good as new.
Possibly. I'll just repeat what Gary Hull at Trance told me: The superglue soaks into the bridge plate to an extent that it's impractical to sand down the bridgeplate enough to allow the Trance tape to adhere properly.

My personal experience confirms that - again, this may be somewhat unique to the Trance and their tape. It's not that it won't stick, but the tone is really bad - very thin and brittle-sounding. Someone may be able to do it - but I could not, and the manufacturer (Trance) said it wouldn't work - even tho they should be happy and motivated to have you replace a K&K with their product. It doesn't make sense to me - you'd think adhesion is adhesion, etc, but after multiple attempts, I can only report my experience. Trance pickups work well on pristine bridge plates, not so well over a previous K&K install.

Give Gary a call if you want to chat directly with him about it. From my perspective, it's at least worth knowing upfront that there's a potential challenge that at the very least requires extra attention. If you can clean up the bridge plate enough to make the Trance work, that's great!