View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

Thanks for your comparison. It was interesting, and very well done. Nice playing too!
Both guitars have a quality sound to my ears, but they tend to re-enforce the conventional wisdom that cedar is "warm" and spruce is "bright". Which isn't a bad thing at all in quality instruments that are played adeptly. The better you play, the less muddy cedar sounds, and the less bristly spruce comes across.
Based on the selections you played, I think I would choose the cedar guitar to perform them. If you had played something else, say, decidedly more from the Renaissance period or something more Baroque with counterpoint, the spruce might have been the victor. But suffice it to say, I'm guessing you can make either guitar sound very nice with all repertoire.
My conclusion is that having both guitars gives you that option, i.e. choosing the one which, to your ears, bests suits the music. No?
Thanks for sharing this.
Dear Andre,
it was very very informative answer. I was enjoying to read it a lot. Actually I am feeling in the same direction. Sometimes I am fighting with myself and want to sell all my guitars and keep the one in the other times I would like to have even more. How ever I appreciate your replay a lot!! Thank you so much! Best regards to you!!!