View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Much harder for an electric player to adjust to the bulk of an acoustic from what I’ve heard on electric forums, but we each have our own experience. I have a strat, a tele, and an Ibanez Scofield model that’s basically their version of an ES-335. I play them differently, supporting my hand on the bridge without my arm draped over anything. I also don’t move my arm nearly as much on the electric, not needing to generate the volume on my own, letting the amp do most of it. Even for real chunky rhythm playing, small quick strokes is all you need - that Pete Townsend windmill stuff was all for show! I almost never play my acoustic plugged in, so if I want volume, it’s up to me to make it...

I’d say just stick with it - you’ll almost certainly adapt and find what works for you. I learned to play both at roughly the same time, so I never got overwhelmingly used to one and not the other. I played a LOT more electric most of my life and may get back to that, but I could always pick up an acoustic and feel right at home on it. Although these days I can’t play a dread - I haven’t owned one in about 15 years and having gotten used to more 00 or 000 sized guitars and smaller, when I pick up a dread now, I feel like a furniture mover or something - can’t get my arm over them comfortably at all anymore. I wouldn’t even try a jumbo now.