View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Guest 928

Tom 2;

Good stuff. Rainsong has done a great job (in my estimation) of producing a crossover 12 fret nylon string guitar, the nylon string Parlor. I don't think they have made a 14 fret version, probably for exactly the reasons you mention.

I have liked higher fret reach and moved past 12 fret guitars knowing that there is a price. My feeling now is that a cut-a-way and contemporary build can allow for high fret reach even with a 12 fret guitar--the Rainsong Parlor being an example. Nothing is free however and there is a price to be paid for the cut-a-way.

I am facing a similar decision involving trade offs with regard to scale length. I have traditionally gone with 25.something which is, as I understand it, an optimal distance for nylon string tension. But I've been liking the shorter scale of the Parlor and thinking of going with that in an electric nylon string guitar. What do you think about that?

SirWhale:

I think you right about the CF makers being more exploratory in the development of crossover guitars. New materials and new build methods have really opened up the door for options. Blackbird, CA, Rainsong and Emerald have all been pushing the envelope.

CFW:

What a beautiful guitar. What tension strings are you using? It appears that most of the crossover guitars are using high tension strings which I think enhance projection but maybe lose some tonal quality. Your thoughts???

Last edited by Guest 928; 05-07-2017 at 09:51 AM.