View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 03:25 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread because it has some valuable and timeless information... And because it raised some questions in my mind.

After taking some scrap pine and getting my fingers into the process in hopes of learning something about making the soundboard and braces, I've moved to actually trying to build that first acoustic.

I have two plans, both based on the Martin OM. One plan comes from Jonathan Kincaid's book, the other from LMI. They are noticeably different. I also picked up a plexiglas pattern from LMI which is supposed to match their plan.

The Kincaid bracing pattern opens the bass area a bit from the LMI, which has those braces parallel. The Kincaid bottom braces not in parallel. The X brace on the Kincaid is at 98 degrees, the LMI at 94. Overall, the size of the Kincaid braces have more mass than the LMI version. Kincaid's is designed for scalloping, LMI for tapering.

I'm starting with the LMI version but from what I've read here I'm having doubts about running the bottom braces parallel. While I am far more mechanical than artistic, something is telling me parallel braces won't sound as good as non-parallel. FWIW, I prefer picking when I play.