View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Rolling Rock ain’t Rolling Rock any more. It’s more like Slippery Rock. They shut down the original brewery in Latrobe PA when Budweiser bought them out. Now IIRC it’s brewed in New Jersey or something. It doesn’t matter to me; it was like water already.

I’ll have to try Guinness warm but bear in mind it’s still coming out of a can, not draft as it should be.
I grew up in Latrobe (not sure what part of SW PA you live), so when RR was moved out of town, it was a big move that changed the dynamic of the town. People changed overnight from drinking it loyally to vowing to never touch it again. And yes, the mountain springs apparently moved to New Jersey.

As for Guinness, don't drink it warm. It should be cool/cold, but not freezing and not in a frosty mug. The cans have a CO2 cartridge in them, so they actually taste pretty good (not quite out of the tap, but better than your average can of beer).

When I was visiting Ireland, I was amazed how good the beer was there, especially drinking Guinness right in Dublin. Some people said that it doesn't travel well, while others suggest the water used there makes a difference vs. the water used for their U.S. production.