Thread: Sexauer '21
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Hi Bruce, fascinating to hear you will attempt an all-myrtle instrument. I remember you writing years back that for all-koa instruments, you’d developed a strategy of sorting the wood so that the lightest koa was used on the top. Does it seem likely that a similar approach will make sense for the myrtle? Is there much variation in density? —Richard
So far, I have not noticed nearly the variation in density in Myrtle that I have in Koa. It probably exists, but my experience is limited.

I referred to this guitar as "flitch matched", but that is not exactly the case. All of the Myrtle comes from the same billet, so is a flitch, but the billet is nearly 40" long, and I have taken the top from one end and the back from the other. The sides are the whole length, nearly, of course. Since I have 9 consecutive slices, I could have made the top and back truly flinched, but since one end has wilder grain than the other, I chose the less wild for the top. The top has a much more complex job to do than the back, and I want every chance of success.

I will get the rosette in in the morning, most likely, and should have pictures by afternoon.