View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 07:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Since I had previously arranged to work from home today to await the Fedex delivery of Bruce’s guitar which I received yesterday, I was able to take a few hours today and play it a bit more than I was able to last night (call it an extended lunch).

As expected, it is an absolutely fabulous guitar! Light as a feather at 3 lb. 6 oz., perfectly set up and plays like “butter”. It is my only long-scale guitar (25.4”) but honestly, it plays as easy as any of my other short-scale and multi-scale instruments. It has a very comfortable neck profile that has some vintage girth to it which I like.

Tone is both difficult to capture in home made recordings shared on the internet and also is even more difficult to describe in words. For now, I can only attempt the latter:
  • In terms of time domain properties the guitar has a moderately fast attack, which I do not associate with rosewood, but may be due to its smaller body size in terms of how fast peak volume develops post-pluck. The notes decay slowly which is typical of rosewood with the fundamentals sustaining longer than the overtones.
  • In terms of frequency domain properties, the character of the timbre is neither vintage “dry”, nor would I describe it as modern “wet”. The supportive overtones are there with the high-end partials and a modicum of the euphonic low-end BRW rumble given its modest size, but they don’t get in the way of the fundamental tone. The sense of string-to string separation is beautifully there because of the balance in response across the strings and the relative strength of the fundamentals relative to the partials. The balance is there throughout the fingerboard even in the upper registers which is important to me (some guitars give it up here).
  • In terms of dynamic properties of the sound, the guitar responds to touch like a thoroughbred, maintaining its timbral character even with the lightest of touch and has reasonable headroom. I cannot really evaluate its projection (sitting here playing with myself) but there is a focus that smaller instruments seem to excel at where the timbre of the melody notes stand out “just right” over the supportive harmony.
More when I can…

Very nice. Love the look. Its what guitars used to and probably should still look like.