View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 04:46 AM

I was extra careful with the Dremel this time and got a more perfect ring for my troubles. Note the weirdness of the original segment:

After hemming and hawing over purflings I opted to just do double bold BWB laminates on either side. I had to shave out a little more in the top to make it work but apart from underneath the fretboard extension it fit like a glove.

BTW: Note that I trimmed off the end of my fretboard and gave it a little curve at the end. I intend to bind it with flamed maple but am mulling over the angles for the miter joint. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself though. Back to the rosette...

I reacquainted myself with my card scraper after attempting to put a halfway decent burl on it. Part of the satisfaction with these builds is that I am also learning to set up/hone my tools and get a feel for how the wood is going to yield to them. Unfortunately, I learn by mistakes and didn't recall the proper technique of bending the scraper slightly so that only the center presents itself to the wood surface beneath; it made a few unsightly gouges in what was otherwise a lovely piece of Carpathian before I got my hands on it. Still, the results were satisfying, though I have a little more yet to do: