Thread: Pick-up System
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc... View Post
If you watch from the beginning, he describes his pickup (s) in great detail. He uses at least 5 different pickups, and as stated by a previous person, will often add a mic out in front of his guitar as well. IMO, he has the best plugged in acoustic sound I've had the opportunity to hear live...When he plays his Olson plugged in, it sounds like his Olson unplugged, only louder.

I've never tried a Tonedexter, but I have heard another guitar player use one in a live, single performer concert setting with a Martin 00-28. IMHO, the Tonedexter was very nice, but did not rise anywhere near to the level of "natural tone" of Wilcox's plugged in Olson.

And of course, this is just my view through my ears...
I am not super familiar with Wilcox but I did watch a handful of videos. He's quite talented and enjoyable to watch. In almost every video though, I heard a faint but noticeable buzz coming from his guitar. I wonder if it's the sound hole pickup? He looks to use an external mic so of course his guitar will sound even better than the TD. I have been experimenting with the TD and I think for an all in one solution, it's about as good as it gets.