View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Long time musician (43 years). Long time guitar player (40 years). I mostly play bluegrass, folk, Americana and blues. I've recently got hit by the gypsy jazz (and jazz in general) bug. I feel totally lost with the jazz chords - its like learning to play guitar all over from scratch.

I listen to a lot of GJ to develop an ear and feel for the genre. I have downloaded the Django Fakebook which has over 200 GJ/swing tunes. I still feel lost and confused on jazz - it seems like learning the basic cowboy chords for bluegrass, folk, Americana etc. was so much easier all those years ago.

Does anyone have specific suggestions for books, web sites, tools etc. to help someone trying to pick up jazz chords and progressions? Thanks.
One thing that I found helpful was accompanying my niece when she played a melody on her clarinet. I started with the simplest first position chords and worked toward more complicated ones. I would add a bass line or some extra harmony notes when they seem appropriate. As she progressed to more complex music, my comps had to keep up. I will really need to work once she learns to improvise (coming soon).

If you know someone that plays a monophonic instrument, lure her or him (along with their instrument) over with some food or beverage one evening.

For references, I keep Mickey Baker's 2 books on Jazz guitar near by along with the book Chords for Jazz Guitar by Charlton Johnson (a more recent find).

You my also find Julio Sagraras's classical guitar books helpful. His first book (Lessons 1-3) includes a number of studies that focus on harmonic intervals. I play these studies to keep my ears accustom to the sounds of different harmonies.