View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thank you! It's interesting what you can bond with when you listen with your ears and feel with your hands. Too many times I've been lured in with specifications that I think I "need" or will prefer, only to give up on a guitar in a few months. That's listening with your eyes. :-)

I was tempted to go check out a very fancy custom guitar recently based on the specifications. But, I went home and played my guitar and though "um... what else is this other guitar supposed to bring to the table that I don't have here?"

I'm not going to suggest it's the world's best guitar. But, I wasn't expecting to like it. And, I'm glad I gave it a chance.
Funny you mention revisiting the fancy custom guitar. I went to a shop in CA when I was on a vacation a couple of weeks ago. I played some very high-end acoustics: Bourgeois ($8K DB custom), Santa Cruz Dreads and OM's, Huss & Dalton TD-R Adi, Collings Cocobolo etc. They also had a Martin D-18 Standard, Ironically enough, I liked the D-18 as much if not more than most of those. And as great as a few of these guitars were, ( The Huss & Dalton TD-R w/Torrified Adi top was a stand-out), I went home and played my 2015 D-18, 2018 DC-18, 2018 HDC-28 and I liked all my guitars more. Those highly regarded guitars had some very special qualities but they were more "different and nice," but not really 'better.'

My take away is a good current manufacture Martin can be equally musical, satisfying and rewarding ...and more affordable.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com