View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
What Wade said. Very good advice here. I would only add that it might be useful to decide whether you are a guitar player or a singer. I used to spend way too much time working on the guitar and less on the feeling and meaning of the song. A song is a piece of art (to me) and it deserves the thought and practice to make it communicate feeling to the audience. In the end they will pay more attention to the singing than the picking. Of course, your picking should not suck...
Interestingly I had this conversation with my teacher this afternoon. How being a singer who plays guitar is different from being a guitar player who sings. How each requires a different approach, a different focus. A singer may be focused on singing, delivering emotion, feeling, invoking a sense of character, a sense of place. The accompanying guitar becomes simply a place setting, somewhere for the singing to exist. It does not have to be fancy, just consistent.

The guitar player is more focused on the setting, crafting a complex world of feeling and emotion in which the singing can sit.

The best, though, often switch roles throughout, often bar by bar. Providing a simple setting for the singing, but evoking time, place, character and emotion in the interludes between the words.

Or something like that...