View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 08:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

An anecdote: I frequent a Steel Guitar Forum. While there, I began to discern that a really large percentage of the forumites are in their late 70s to 80s. Death notices of members happen every week. Terminal conditions are reported pretty often as well. A few observations:

1. You wouldn't know the ages of the participants if these folks weren't telling you them. Many still have vibrant minds, great senses of humor, and a LOT of information.

2. There is a cadre' of younger members coming up behind and soaking the older ones for every bit of info they can get their hands on.

3. Of course we, the younger ones on that forum, are middle aged. Our respect for the hard-won knowledge of our seniors is kind of automatic, baked in. However, in the some of the younger generations, the concept of understanding that length of life breeds experience seems to have been lost and replaced by the dismissive "OK, Boomer" mindset. I'm afraid it is their loss.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)