View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Looking good, Mark.

I talked about you in a couple of my classes the other day. Was giving a little lecture on the question of "What is Art?" And how do we (historically, culturally, etc.) distinguish between what is and isn't?

Used one of the glam shots from your website of the Pina along with a few other unrelated objects. Posed the question, "Is this art?" Pointed out that you do all the work yourself, and don't use any power tools, and asked whether that information would lead them to a different answer than if I had shown a picture of a factory made guitar.

Got varied responses from my students, but most said yes on both counts. Largely this was just a jumping off point to consider that, historically, one of the distinguishing characteristics between "art" and "craft", or "art" and "not art" more broadly has to do with whether an object has a primary function beyond the aesthetic.

Anyway, thought you might get a kick out of that.
Thanks warfrat73! I’m glad to hear I got the art nod because I certainly do what I feel is an artistic approach to building guitars. What is Art? That’s a big question with all kinds of answers.

I do want to note that I am in the process of getting away from power tools but I am only about a year into a five year or so plan. The change is a learning process. Right now I am taking on what I feel are the largest quality of build impact changes.

m

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright