View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I can't play acoustic (most, myself included, would say the same about my electric playing!), so I figured I should devote some effort into becoming better at it. I currently have a nice Yamaha LL6 acoustic, but I've decided that I want to get a higher end all solid wood acoustic. My thinking is that if I spend some money, not only will it encourage me to practice but I will also be getting myself a guitar which is a lifer before I have a reduced income in the fall due to impending surgery, and then have to devote funds to other things come the new year.
The encourage to practice excuse is commonly cited reason for upgrading to a more expensive instrument. While here on an enthusiast page the percentages may be higher, I find this way more often than not doesn't work. An expensive guitar is just as likely to wind up in the closet as an inexpensive one for most folks. Either you are encouraged and inspired to play or you are not. That comes from within you.

The practice bump you get from spending money is typically short lived. While the lifer sentiment has merit, any guitar can and will become a lifer if you dedicate yourself to it. So first thought is use what you got. Make sure it is set up to play well and focus on musical goals, not guitar buying goals.

And I am all for buying when you want to buy. Just don't expect it to turn your practice around for long. It is really simpler than you think. Solid wood, gloss finish in a size that you find comfortable and looks good to you. Cutaway is totally optional for all but a rare few acoustic players.

hunter