Thread: Who knew?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Ditto in the airplane world, as you know. What is "light chop" for a 737 can be extreme turbulence for my Cessna 177.
"Wake turbulence" can be similarly problematic, as well. When training a young captain (had a new Master License) on an excursion boat, a large freighter passed by us in Haro Strait (between the US and Canada) - I told him to keep an eye on the wake from that ship. He kinda pooh-poohed me, until the wake was too close to evade. I knew we weren't in danger, but it wasn't going to be pleasant... coming up over the first wave of that wake, it was very apparent we were going to "stuff the bow." He listened to my advice after that.

My wife and I used to race our Corsair trimaran sailboat in the early 2000s. We met other sailors who had similar interests beyond sailing: guitars, motorcycles, RVing, flying. Seems to be similar with this group and interests outside of music. Must be certain personality types are drawn to these interests. I am aware of several others on this sub-forum who fly for a living and/or for the joy of it; same with boats. Challenging endeavors that many people aren't drawn to.