Thread: $500ish amps
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I just picked up an Ultrasound AG-50DS4 from a fellow AGFer for $350, in perfect shape, and am very happy with it! Great sound, light weight, easy to use, and when I need more decibels, I can always plug it into to other equipment. I like it better for my purposes than anything else I've tried, and that's been a lot. (Especially good at that price!)

cotten
My Ultrasound is an older AG50DS2 but as far as tone and basic features it's identical to what Cotten just bought. I flat out love it. The cleanest, most transparent tone of any amp on your list that I've played.

I've tried the Fishman, the Roland, the Marshall, and the Fender. Ultrasound is simply the best of those amps as far as tone and transparency. I've not had any volume issues because like Cotten, when I want more juice I am usually at church or in a larger setting where I can go from the amp to the house.

Also, in those settings I'll often break out my Ultrasound DI Plus direct box. Same tone and transparency as the amp but in a 3lb size. It has everything the amps have as far as control and featues except no EFX. Just an efx loop. This little box actually has more headroom than their amps.

You're going to be imressed with how well these amps are built and how good your guitar will sound through it. I play both an ES and non-Es Taylor through both my amp and DI Plus. They do a great job.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom