View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick413 View Post
Very glad this topic came up . My grandson is a drummer and they moved into a small quiet community. Will foam panels in his room help reduce noise to the neighbors?
Yes to some degree ... first is this a rented space or is it owned by him or his family ? if rented then options will usually be more limited

There are actually tables and charts that list numbers for Noise Reduction Coefficient NCR which can help determine how much absorption various materials will provide.

Here is a link with some information.

https://www.archtoolbox.com/represen...acoustics.html

It should be noted that there are 3 basic different categories when it comes to sound control for a recording or practice space .

#1 is isolation or trying to limit or block sound transfer from going from one space to another, or from inside the outside ( what you are asking about) or from the outside in.

#2 is Absorption is control of sound wave reflections within a room itself by absorbing the sound so as to limit reflection

#3 is Diffusion or redirecting the reflection of the sound, usually done with diffusion panels or angled non- parallel walls

Here are some links

For #1 Foam panels may help some. And I do not know for certain but the blankets Mbroady linked in post #21 may be a bit better.

The best for isolation is wall within a wall construction, but that is usually not possible for a rented space, and often not feasible for a owned space.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-26-2016 at 08:41 AM.