View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 02:57 PM

As a professional acoustical engineer, just an hour ago I was visiting a client about remedial treatment in his conference room, and a possible future recording booth.

I basically told him, "never bring a knife to a gun fight". In other words, you have to use the right tool for the job. There are really only three things you can do to sound in a room. You can absorb it (foam or fiberglass). You can scatter it (diffusive surfaces) or you can reflect it to where it doesn't hurt you (walls at non-parallel angles).

As Martin Maniac said just before me, "Is there really a problem to begin with"? It is vital to identify the actual problem. Is it sound transfer between adjoining spaces? Is it sound bouncing around in the room creating echoes or audible artifacts? Is it a major lack of absorption / excess general reverberation or liveness? I also told him that 90% of what you read on the internet is not based on facts or experience, but rehashing of the same misinformation. I can almost count on one hand where bass traps have been useful, and that was always retrofit in existing recording studios.

Personally I record in the extra bedroom, which has painted sheet rock surfaces and two beds, plus an open closet full of clothes. The beds and closet give me plenty of absorption, and the walls give me nice reflections and "presence". As a pro I have access to all the products - often at cost or free - and the relevant data, but I just don't bother. Mic'ing techniques and placement are far more effective and important than most room surfaces. I could go on for hours discussing this topic, but need to get back to work now.