View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 06:21 AM

Default Acoustic guitar with a low action?

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Never been much of an acoustic player as I like the low action of an electric. Now I have come to understand that acoustic guitars are meant to have a higher action to get the sound quality. I am after a compromise here. Most playing will be at home and amplified if gigging.

When I say low action I mean between 1 - 2 mm off the 12th fret. Am I right in assuming Taylors, Guilds, Martins etc will generally have a higher action with little chance of getting down to what I require?

The only thing I have had come close to what I wanted was an early Japanese Takamine. I had a Japanese made APX also which was good. The neck was so precise the action was silky smooth, fast and low and sounded great. Later Takamines I have played have not been the same. As you can tell I am no purist. Can anyone suggest a brand of guitar, decent but not ridiculously expensive that may be made well enough (neck straight) that will allow me to get the action I want?