Thread: new X20 review
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The bridge seems to be in the sweet spot (widest portion of the lower bout) in both cases. My theory was the bridge plate too - I even asked about how to remove it without damaging the top - but Alistair does not see the bridge plate as the issue. I think they revoiced the top layup and maybe changed resin suppliers, but it isn’t working - for me. I’m just glad that I held onto the older X20.
Thanks Earl. As I've mentioned, this is exactly what I've been trying to ask on this forum for quite sometime but never got what I feel is an adequate response. I just wanted to put an more illustrative example to what I'm trying to say. Below is an example of standard X20 bridge placement compared to a RainSong Shorty. On the Shorty it isn't just the neck reduced in scale but a shift of at least 1" of the bridge toward the center of the lower bout. I believe the Shorty is also overall slightly shorter than your custom (the Shorty is 38.5" and I'm guessing yours is just over 39" which if true also helps further illustrate what I'm saying). I like a warm tone as well, and while a guitar is the sum of its parts, I personally believe bridge placement is pretty influential in voicing a guitar in that direction.

Last edited by steelvibe; 12-05-2020 at 08:35 PM.