View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately and I appreciate the replies!

My reference tracks (professional recordings) tend to have an airiness to them that my recordings do not. I think this has a lot to do with stereo width, recording quality, and EQ, but I just can't seem to get that airy feeling to them. I have been working with some compression, plus using some good VST plugins for EQ and panning, but still just can't get there.

Ideas?
I know I'm late to the party but thought I could share my experience. If I understand you correctly your talking about the overall depth, clarity, and roomy sound. I found for vocals, guitar, and bass it helps to duplicate every track then offset the 2 tracks ever so slightly, then experiment with different panning.

If you offset them too much it sounds like 2 different instruments, but when done the correct amount it creates a natural reverb effect which gives it that airy feel. Panning is critical to achieve this. Pan 1 track left and the other right the same amount. I find the % you pan sometimes is best at 30 something and sometimes up to 70 something.

For vocal chorus parts I found it better to actually double track (singing twice instead of just copying the track). I will then sometimes copy 1 of the 2 tracks and follow the above and leave the other track single. This also creates a nice airy sound with the 3 tracks.

Last edited by Ncbandit; 11-10-2019 at 06:07 AM.