View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback, peoples. The more I think and read about this, I think I have two choices:

1) Totally deaden my recording space and buy some better mics.

2) Sell my humble gear and buy something like a Zoom H2 for my "demo" quality stuff and accept that if I want a good sounding CD, I need to go to a qualified studio.

The second really is the wiser route, I think. ...but the first sounds more fun.

Considering that I know of three experienced, cool, local studios (or engineers) charging about $30 an hour, it's pretty hard to justify buying even a $500 mic to continue working in my terrible sounding natural space. That $500 might make me sound "better", but I doubt it would come close to that same $$ given to a qualified studio.

Additionally, I think it's good for many of us, me, at least, to keep in mind, that music thrives when it gets out of the basement and into the community -- working with a studio (or three) is yet another chance to meet and work with other musicians and music lovers, and that always opens even more doors.

Finally, there's much to be said for playing to our strengths, even when they are humble; mine will never be working with technology and I probably do well to spend my time writing and practicing for performances.

But, dang, recording is a lot of fun, too!