View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 11:17 PM

Hatamoto,

It's not that I get lost because the solo seems to be over a none melody section, it's that when the melody is not very obvious, and it's not being fed to me as I play, I lose my place and sometimes lose the feel and drop into boring , unrelated scale stuff. Playing along with the recording is fun. Keeping all the good stuff in my head at those sections when it's not there is tough.

I think I've learned to solo reactive-ly and not from stuff internally. I think I play by sound and not by knowledge of what we are doing and what will work with it. " I see, this section would work great with a melodic minor scale and as long as I highlight the key notes as the chords change, it should sound pretty good. " And then go work out a cool solo keeping those ideas in mind.

Andyrondack,

My instructor has done Jazz stuff since he was a teenager, I think, and has little trouble playing in and around the chords, often at an impressive clip on that bass of his. I have asked him why he played certain things in his solos, after the fact.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "