View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 08:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Those woods are sublime! A truly beautiful instrument.

Thanks! It sure seems to be coming together nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That is really an inspiring example of excellent workmanship. Beautifully done

Do you finish that magnetic truss rod cover? If so what do you do about making it function? I can see how finish on the edges would cause it to stick so i am assuming you finish it separately from the peghead. Or have it finished separately and that you must try to keep finish out of the edges of the opening.

I think its really a clever. Looks like you just press down on the lower end of the cover and the upper end pops up. Really clever.

Thanks John! I've mostly done oil finishes on my headstocks with this design and haven't run into any issues with clearance. So long as there's no finish on the edges of either the cover or the recess, it seems like even a hairline gap between the two is enough and I also ever so slightly bevel back the edges that have to swing past each other. I did a similar design on the lower bout to cover up a pickup jack and that required a bit more finessing after finishing (UV Polyester) but was still mostly just scraping finish off the sides.

And you got it for how it works -- it's just held by a small magnet (not shown in the pictures above) so you press down and up it pops!

Here's one from a couple of years ago in action...

instagram