View Single Post
Old 02-08-2001, 06:34 AM

Wink

Great post!

. . .I realized I was "no help" as a guitar teacher for trying to teach what I do because what I do is mostly self taught. I had to stop, sit down, and logically, systematically, figure out WHAT I was doing before I could begin to try to explain it to anyone [who didn't know] without them getting that "glazed over" look<grin>.

But trying to translate "accumulated practice" into "applied theory" is almost like trying to contemplate your navel through a wool sweater. You understand the beginnings, you even understand the endpoint (where you comfortably are now). . . It's just the intermediate steps. . .that "middle stuff" that gets lost in the sauce.

Another "do" (and this probably applies to the "self taught" people more). Write out what you learn and put it into your own words not only to ensure you understand it well, but also as a guide to help teach it in the future. you create your own "musical diary" which then can become your own "teaching method." I wish I'd have done that earlier. . .

Brett