View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 03:37 AM

Hi again.

Thanks for the advice and comments. I'm new to audio and easily confused by practical details.

We did a hands on checkout of the audio systems in the new community centre building.

Next weekend we'll switch from my gear to the community centre stuff and see how it goes.

Here is info if you are interested in details.

1. Spaces:

The ground level has a 28' x110' space that can be partitioned into three areas. The upper floor has a number of rooms and lounges including a room with karaoke gear.

2. PA systems.

The PA is built into each space and delivered through large ceiling speakers. Each ground floor space has 6 speakers in a wide 2 x 3 grid.

Each space has an input panel (XLR, RCA, USB) and a volume control panel.

The sound volume at the 40 percent level is plenty loud enough.

The widely spaced ceiling speakers deliver 'surround sound' throughout the space.

The PA detects which partitions are open, and join the PAs in adjacent spaces for even sound and easy control.

3. Wireless microphone.

These are keyed to one of the ground floor spaces and to the upstairs room that has karaoke gear.

The key is a power pack that is stored in a slot in the room's electronics rack, and inserted into the wireless mic when needed.

4. Wired microphones.

Many thanks for all the info on suitable dynamic mikes.

The community centre has been using Sennheiser 835s in the older builder. They will buy more as needed.

Single mics plug into the XLR or RCA socket of the input panel.

Multiple mics plug into a generic mixer which plugs into the XLR. There is a generic 4 channel mixer and a generic 8 channel mixer.

Next step: Switch from my gear to the community centre stuff at our event next week.

Things to check:

À. Will inexperienced users who are reluctant to get close to the microphone be heard from 10-14" away?

We'll increase the sensitivity by cranking up the gain/volume at the room volume control and/or the mixer preamp beyond the level usually recommended for loud stages and horizontal PAs/amps.

I'm guessing that the ceiling mounted PA speakers won't feedback as much as horizontal PAs/amps.

And singers will hear the sound level change depending on distance from the mic.

B. Will singers and speakers hear themselves drift off target and re-center themselves on the mic?

I'm hoping they'll hear themselves clearly in the PA 'surround sound' and notice when they wander off target.

Are we on the right track? We'll see.

And I'm looking forward to the reaction of folks hearing themselves sing through the 'surround sound' PA system!

Cheers.