View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Hi,

Back in the '70s I acquired a beautiful Gibson L-3 which I was told was a 1915 model. It was in almost museum condition, but my first mortgage forced me to sell every thing I had in order to eat.

After that I pretty much forgot about them but probably because David Rawlings made me aware of them again, I decided i "needed" one in 2006.

I found a Harmony Monterrey on ebay, but it was about the same time I was waiting to go into hospital for a heart operation.
I contacted the seller and asked him if he'd reserve it for me until after my operation - assuming i survived. To my surprise he agreed and arranged to contact me a suitable time after my op to see if I was still alive still wanted it.

After that call, he also offered to bring it over to me - a journey of a couple of hundred miles! What a gent!

In 2007, I retired and decided to see if I could learn some jazz rhythm / western swing styles, and got an Eastman.

Then as my teacher, had a 1934 L5, I desired "the real thing" and got a '34 L-4.

They are compared here :