View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm curious, as others may be too, about the current state of carbon guitar (aka graphite guitar) acceptance and awareness amongst guitarists. The current best-known makers of carbon guitars are: RainSong, Composite Acoustics, BlackBird and Emerald. Please take my poll and we'll see how far carbon guitars have come in guitarists' appreciation of their tone, durability and minimal-care characteristics. Thanks!

Regards,

SpruceTop
As a long-time Steinberger (graphite electric) owner, and demo-guy at NAMM for them, I have no problem with the tech, especially on electric. So .. no bias here about that.

I bought a Cargo as they first appeared on the market, and have never liked any number of things about it, and I can't see a cure for it's ailments. Yeah, it's an OK travel guitar but I think that last idiot that landed in Detroit and tried to blow up his plane will effectively do away with plane travel with guitars and many other things so that is moot.

Having one, I can't imagine getting another CF acoustic. I have played many others in the CA and Rainsong line and none of these hit me as having good sounds. I'd be thrilled if I could get a tiny shadow or slimline Mag PU on this thing and just gig with it. Piezo's don't do it for this.

I couldn't make a choice in your poll because nothing up there says, I have one, and it is likely the last one I'll ever have. I think I'll get rid of it this year.

As for the state of Carbon Acoustics, I think it's close, but no cigar but as a niche instrument it is fine, and I'm just guessing it'll be a long time before they're past the acoustic sound plateau they've currently reached.