View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Purists are so full of it, they have no concept of whats required to achieve a good playable guitar, every guitar is different every guitar requires a different approach.

There is no right or wrong way, its what way works for you.

Luthiers are paid for there knowledge / wisdom and experience in said matters, what takes others days and weeks of trolling forums, takes seconds for us to access under a good eye.

Steve
I've been reading this thread... It is probably safe to say that compression fretting is a more advanced fretwork technique, which can be put to good use in certain situations. That said, there are times when compression fretting alone is not the best fix.

Steve, I'm passing this one along to you FWIW... Another person called you "aggressive". I can't quite agree with that, but if you look at your first comment on this thread above - "Purists are so full of it". I think most people would agree that this is an adversarial/confrontational/inflammatory type of expression. It will add little value in moving the conversation ahead, and it will have a high chance of raising people's hackles. Then, as people reacted to you, you seem to have taken a defensive tone, and things continued spiralling.

Boys and girls... It's all good!! Put out your ideas, let people see them, and take them or leave them. Father's day just passed. Even though I had a fine day with my wife and 2 kids, my thoughts were of a friend who lost his boy a few years ago. Recently there was the 2 year old stolen and drowned by a gator. In my neck of the woods, a 4 year old drowned last week in his grandparents grimy swimming pool. There are a lot better things to devote one's efforts than arguing publicly on a forum. Praise the day, and be thankful.

My sermon is over.

Oh, and compression fretting is fine, if one understands its effects and limitations.

Oh, and I'd hesitate to remove excessive amounts of fingerboard material for reasons already expressed in this thread.

Since many (most/all??) older Martin's were nitro finished, even an operation like removing the FB to replace the truss is much more feasible than on a Yamaha with thick poly something-or-other finish that makes is difficult to burn in future layers if a similar repair was necessary.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia