View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 02:50 PM

Until recently, my goto guitars were Takamine TH-5C (not very flamenco, but fantastic sounding for other genres), and my special order Flamenco TC-132SC (cypress sides, spruce top) which really does sound Flamenco except that it is built like a tank. For a long time I have also used a Sanchis Flamenco guitar with a Palathetic/Cooltube 2 pickup/preamp combo professionally installed locally.

Recently I had a windfall (walked into my local music store to get some strings after a 12 year absence, and found I had a $500 credit from 12 years ago, which, together with a number of trade-ins, allowed me to purchase a Cordoba GK Pro. At first I was skeptical, because the earlier Fishman pickups/preamps didn't sound good (as I remember from 12 years ago), but the Pro has an excellent sound out of the box (with the mic turned all the way off), and together with a Behringer TO800 is all I need going into any FRFR amp (no "acoustic" tweaking necessary). My two current amps are an iLoud (where there is no electricity) and a Fishman Acoustic 100, but I have tried the GK Pro into many other amps into the Aux In if I don't want the effects (e.g., the Katana 50/100) - recently, almost any amp with an Aux In is useable - even the mini amps like the Fly 3 or Katana Mini.

The Cordoba GK Pro is fast becoming my goto Flamenco guitar (not only that, but I don't think there is much difference between the Studio and Pro models if plugged in....) but I wanted one of Cordoba's best models if it was going to be used for my main guitar....)

And the Fender Passport Mini works well also, with the amp set on the tube amp....

Technology has come a long ways in 12 years....

IMO, YMMV, FWIW, etc....