Thread: Lessons
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColColt View Post

Speaking of the pinky finger, mine is short and no way I could finger F-chord the way I've seen it. At a mere 2" long I'd have to add some material of a sort to get an extra half inch to it.
As for the music theory, I don't know if these instructors give you any of that or not and I'm not familiar with the local community colleges as to whether they offer that or not.
Ah, the dreaded "pinky envy"....
I am not sure how my teacher will incorporate music theory into my lessons. As I said, I have been playing woodwinds for well over 50 years, and play lead tenor in a big band, and clarinet in smaller jazz ensembles. I never learned theory, and wish I had. I have developed a pretty good ear and can improvise as long as I can hear the changes, and can play off the root. But, it seems to me that with a visual board, like the guitar or piano, you can actually see how the chords are put together, unlike my woodwinds. Well, will just have to see how that plays out. But it would be cool if guitar playing enhanced my woodwind improv skills.