View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM

I'm right there with you - I like a nice rosette, among other things.

I doubt a segmented rosette would add significant cost to a guitar. I recently had a very fancy segmented rosette made locally, including calligraphed lettering and segmented marquetry (probably 40 pieces).

A local shop with some talent in programming and a laser cutter can do it for your luthier. I believe the last one I had made was about $120 total for the layout, programming, engraving, and cutting. I provided the basic design and the materials. Installation took some time, but the same is true for ordinary rosettes. I had it done in a local trophy shop that has a laser cutter. These cutters can also engrave pearl nicely for nameplates and such if you're into that.

The handwork folks are wonderful at what they do, and I personally prefer the handmade work. However, most of the really fun advances we're seeing in inlay work are improvements in design, programming, and cutting technology, not hand-cutting, marquetry, or inlaying skill.

A long-winded non-answer to your question, but I hope I've contributed to the background a bit, and I think the answer is "Yes".